Who we can fund:
You are an individual or a group who assert human rights covered by the CCP;
You are a non-profit organization that represents an individual or a group who asserts human rights covered by the CCP.
You are in need of financial support to proceed with the case.
What we can fund:
You are an individual, group or non-profit organization who may be granted leave to intervene in litigation before the courts.
Your application involves:
- a legal remedy for which the CCP has already approved funding, or
- a legal remedy for which the former Court Challenges Program has approved funding, or
- a legal remedy that involves one of the human rights covered by the CCP.
Your intervention must raise important arguments that have legal merit and that contribute to the resolution of the legal issues raised in the case.
Your arguments have not been covered in substance by other parties or interveners.
Your intervention could assert and clarify one of the human rights covered by CCP.
The case in which you want to intervene is of national importance.
What we cannot fund:
A for-profit organization.
Complaints, prosecutions or challenges presented solely:
- In terms of provincial or territorial human rights laws; or
- Against provincial or territorial laws, policies or practices other than ones covered by the CCP.
Public education, community development, lobbying or political advocacy.
The CCP can finance several interveners, but in view of its limited resources, it strongly encourages associations and groups to submit a single funding application for a joint intervention.
Maximum eligible funding
Funding available for leave to intervene is limited to $5,000.
Funding available for an intervention is limited to $35,000.