The CCP provides financial support to assert and clarify official language rights derived from the following:
Official language rights protected by:
- sections 93 and 133 of the Constitution Act, 1867;
- section 23 of the Manitoba Act, 1870;
- sections 16 to 23 of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms (the “Charter”);
- any parallel constitutional provisions; and
- the linguistic aspect of freedom of expression in section 2 of the Charter when invoked in an official language minority case.
Justiciable parts of the Official Languages Act, which include:
- section 4 of Part I (Proceedings of Parliament);
- sections 5 to 5 and 10 to 13 of Part II (Legislative and Other Instruments);
- Part IV (Communications with and Services to the Public);
- Part V (Language of Work);
- Part VII (Advancement of English and French); and
- section 91 (Staffing).
The CCP provides funding in the following three areas:
Test case litigation; and